Lynch & Owens Divorce Series: Step 5 – Filing and Service of a Complaint for Divorce

Home/Divorce, Family Law, Updates/Lynch & Owens Divorce Series: Step 5 – Filing and Service of a Complaint for Divorce

Lynch & Owens Divorce Series: Step 5 – Filing and Service of a Complaint for Divorce

Divorce Series

Massachusetts divorce lawyer Josey Lyne Payne reviews the process of filing and serving a Complaint for Divorce in Massachusetts.

In this edition of the Lynch & Owens Divorce Series, I will review the process for filing and serving a Complaint for Divorce in Massachusetts.  To start any action for divorce a Plaintiff must complete the appropriate Complaint for Divorce, which is a standard form created by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to be used in the respective Probate & Family Courts.  Which form the Plaintiff completes depends on which type of divorce they are filing for. In Massachusetts, the most common is a Complaint for Divorce Pursuant to G.L. c. 208, Section 1B – Irretrievable Breakdown (the “Complaint”).  The official form in Massachusetts can be found on our Massachusetts Family Law Official Forms page.

Once the Complaint is completed, the Complaint is filed with the Probate and Family Court in the proper jurisdiction, along with other requisite documents (more about these documents in another blog post). Filing involves delivering the completed paperwork to the court and paying a filing fee.  Once the Plaintiff files their paperwork with the proper court, the Court then adds the divorce case to a docket and the case is assigned to a judge.

Lynch & Owens are divorce mediators and collaborative lawyers

In Massachusetts, service of a Summons and Complaint for Divorce is typically done by a constable or sheriff.

After you file the Complaint, you will get a Summons and Tracking Notice.  You must “serve” a copy of the Summons, a copy of the Complaint that was filed with the court, and a copy of the Tracking Notice on the defendant.

“Service of Process” is the way you deliver papers to the person required to respond to them. This is the “Defendant”. The purpose is to advise the Defendant, in writing, that there is a case, what the case is about, what the defendant must do and when, if there is a court hearing scheduled, and when and where to come to court. In Massachusetts, one generally hires a sheriff or constable to serve the defendant for a fee of $50 to $100. When the sheriff or constable serves the defendant, the defendant is given a copy of the summons, the Complaint and the tracking notice. The sheriff or constable then fills out the second page of the summons, called “Return of Service”. Return of Service is proof that the defendant was served. Once this is completed, the original summons (not a copy) must be filed with the court. It is your responsibility to make sure the original summons is filed with the proof of service.

In some cases, a defendant may be willing to accept service without the use of a sheriff or constable. If this is the case, the defendant must sign the summons where it provides “Acceptance of Service” before a notary public. Then you must file the original, signed and notarized return of service with the court. You have 90 days from the day you filed the Complaint to serve your spouse. If you are not able to serve in that time, you must return to the court and request a new Summons (for a fee), which will provide you an additional 90 days to make service.

A defendant who has been served with a Complaint and summons has officially received notice of the divorce action. After being served, the defendant is subject to the automatic restraining order pertaining to the sale of liquidation of assets. Each party has 45 days from the date to service to provide mandatory self-disclosure in the form of copies of tax returns, bank statements and other financial documents extending back three years. Each party must also be prepared to produce a sworn financial statement, which can be demanded as soon as ten days after service is made.

For additional installments of the Lynch & Owens Massachusetts Divorce Series, please visit the main series page.

About the Author: Josey Lyne Payne is a Massachusetts divorce lawyer and Massachusetts family law attorney for Lynch & Owens, located in Hingham, Massachusetts.

Schedule a free consultation with Josey Lyne Payne today at (781) 741-5000 or send her an email:

Disclaimer: The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. You are invited to contact our office. Contacting the office does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to the office until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established. This blog is considered an advertisement for The Law Office of Lynch & Owens, P.C. The Massachusetts Rules of Professional Conduct broadly govern all advertisements and communications made by attorneys and law firms in the Commonwealth. Generally, legal websites and any other content published on the internet by lawyers are considered a type of communication and an advertisement, according to the Comments to Rule 7.2.

Related Posts

By | 2017-03-28T06:46:19+00:00 December 29th, 2015|Categories: Divorce, Family Law, Updates|Tags: , |Comments Off on Lynch & Owens Divorce Series: Step 5 – Filing and Service of a Complaint for Divorce

About the Author:

Josey Lyne Payne is a Senior Associate at Lynch & Owens, and is a frequent contributor to the Lynch & Owens Blog on subjects including Massachusetts divorce, child custody and support, domestic violence, equity and estates litigation, and complex financial probate and family litigation. Attorney Payne can be reached by phone at (781) 741-5000 or email at [email protected], or visit her bio page at