Does an Unmarried Parent Need a Court’s Permission to Move Outside of Massachusetts?

Home/Child Custody, Family Law, Updates/Does an Unmarried Parent Need a Court’s Permission to Move Outside of Massachusetts?

Does an Unmarried Parent Need a Court’s Permission to Move Outside of Massachusetts?

Permission to move children from Massachusetts

Massachusetts family law attorney Jason V. Owens reviews Massachusetts law for unmarried parents seeking to move out of state.

Attorney Jason V. Owens

Attorney Jason V. Owens

Does an unmarried parent need a court’s permission to move outside of Massachusetts with his or her child? The Massachusetts “removal statute” provides that a child of divorced parent may not be permanently removed from the state by one parent without permission from a judge. There is no analogous statute applying to unmarried parents, however, in Smith v. McDonald, decided in 2010, the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court held that “[[w]hile a statute governing divorced children is not applicable directly to nonmarital children, the legal equality of nonmarital children pursuant to G.L. c. 209C, § 1, dictates the same rule apply for children in comparable circumstances. Accordingly, when a nonmarital child has two legal parents, the parent with custody may not move the child outside the Commonwealth without the permission of the other parent or of a court.” Accordingly, non-married parents are generally subject to the same rules as their divorced counterparts when it comes to relocating out of state with a child.

It should be noted, however, that a commonly overlooked provision of the removal statute provides that the rule only applies to a child “who is a native of or has resided five years within” Massachusetts. In this context, “native” simply means the child was born in Massachusetts. Thus, any child who was (a.) not born in Massachusetts and (b.) has not resided for 5 years in Massachusetts, is not subject to the removal statute, regardless of whether his or her parents were married.

About the Author: Jason V. Owens is a Massachusetts divorce lawyer and Massachusetts family law attorney for Lynch & Owens, located in Hingham, Massachusetts.

Schedule a free consultation with Jason V. Owens today at (781) 741-5000 or send him an email:

Disclaimer: The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. You are invited to contact our office. Contacting the office does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to the office until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established. This blog is considered an advertisement for The Law Office of Lynch & Owens, P.C. The Massachusetts Rules of Professional Conduct broadly govern all advertisements and communications made by attorneys and law firms in the Commonwealth. Generally, legal websites and any other content published on the internet by lawyers are considered a type of communication and an advertisement, according to the Comments to Rule 7.2.

Related Posts

By | 2017-03-28T17:56:32+00:00 August 13th, 2015|Categories: Child Custody, Family Law, Updates|Tags: , , |Comments Off on Does an Unmarried Parent Need a Court’s Permission to Move Outside of Massachusetts?

About the Author:

Jason V. Owens is a Partner and Senior Counsel at Lynch & Owens, and is a frequent contributor to the Lynch & Owens Blog on subjects including Massachusetts divorce, child custody and support, domestic violence, equity and estates litigation, and complex financial probate and family litigation. Attorney Owens can be reached by phone at (781) 741-5000 or email [email protected], or visit his bio page under